From Bed Buddies To Colleagues
I've just come home from church and I'm feeling content. No, the service wasn't like my old church & I didn't feel the Spirit & wasn't so much moved by the sermon my lesbian priestess delivered...but I'm going with the idea of what church is supposed to do. All that to say, the sermon was about how today is All Saints Sunday and we should honor the saints of God and we're all saints of God in that we're stewards...blah blah blah. Parenthetically, it's still a challenge for me to listen to my priest knowing she's a practicing lesbian, but it's ironically appropriate since it reminds me of my status as the patron saint of emotionally unavailable men (lesbian priest is emotionally unavailable to men, right?).
Anyway, at the end of the service my new Brazilian friend called to find out if I wanted to go shopping for birthday presents (ugh! I absolutely HATE shopping). She's recently rebounded into a newly broken relationship with her Match.com mate and his birthday is this coming Thursday. Funny since Don Carlos the SJA's birthday is this coming Friday and I sarcastically told him I had his present all ready for him when he called the other evening to confirm the days I'm working in New Orleans. My Brazilian friend suggested I get him something since Don Carlos is supposed to be planning a fun & romantic evening for us on Friday (yeah, right!).
"What am I supposed to get him? I know he's not going to do anything special for me! He didn't even call me on my birthday! Besides, I'm not even sure I'm staying the weekend," I plainly told her.
"You should stay the weekend just to give him a chance to be nice to you," she said.
"He had 8 years to be nice to me! I don't want to give him something and leave him thinking I'm still chasing after him. I didn't even want to go back to NO. This is a business trip that just happens to be the weekend of his birthday," I muttered.
"So give him a nice picture of you in a frame from Things Remembered," she suggested.
"And what? Have it engraved with 'Thanks for 8 miserable years' with a happy picture of me in my new home town? He'd probably use it to throw darts after I'm gone. I don't want to marry this guy...he's selfish! That's number one on my list of 'Can't Stands'. I'm looking for something that says, 'Hey, it didn't work out but we can still be colleagues!' "
"Don't you mean 'friends'?" she asked.
"A friend is someone you know, like, & trust. I don't really know much about his childhood which is much of why he is the way he is. And I like things about him, but he's an @$$hole and nobody likes an @$$hole. On top of that, we've hurt each other so much we'll never trust each other. There's no way we could ever truly be friends," I frankly explained.
"That's true, but don't you think he's going to be wanting more since he's planning a romantic evening for you two?" she inquired.
"He's only doing that to try to suck me back into the same bed buddy relationship we had for 8 years. I'm not interested in settling for that. I did move 1000 miles away to end that kind of interaction. So, a frame with 'Colleagues' engraved on the bottom should help him get the picture that I'm really serious this time!"
Anyway, at the end of the service my new Brazilian friend called to find out if I wanted to go shopping for birthday presents (ugh! I absolutely HATE shopping). She's recently rebounded into a newly broken relationship with her Match.com mate and his birthday is this coming Thursday. Funny since Don Carlos the SJA's birthday is this coming Friday and I sarcastically told him I had his present all ready for him when he called the other evening to confirm the days I'm working in New Orleans. My Brazilian friend suggested I get him something since Don Carlos is supposed to be planning a fun & romantic evening for us on Friday (yeah, right!).
"What am I supposed to get him? I know he's not going to do anything special for me! He didn't even call me on my birthday! Besides, I'm not even sure I'm staying the weekend," I plainly told her.
"You should stay the weekend just to give him a chance to be nice to you," she said.
"He had 8 years to be nice to me! I don't want to give him something and leave him thinking I'm still chasing after him. I didn't even want to go back to NO. This is a business trip that just happens to be the weekend of his birthday," I muttered.
"So give him a nice picture of you in a frame from Things Remembered," she suggested.
"And what? Have it engraved with 'Thanks for 8 miserable years' with a happy picture of me in my new home town? He'd probably use it to throw darts after I'm gone. I don't want to marry this guy...he's selfish! That's number one on my list of 'Can't Stands'. I'm looking for something that says, 'Hey, it didn't work out but we can still be colleagues!' "
"Don't you mean 'friends'?" she asked.
"A friend is someone you know, like, & trust. I don't really know much about his childhood which is much of why he is the way he is. And I like things about him, but he's an @$$hole and nobody likes an @$$hole. On top of that, we've hurt each other so much we'll never trust each other. There's no way we could ever truly be friends," I frankly explained.
"That's true, but don't you think he's going to be wanting more since he's planning a romantic evening for you two?" she inquired.
"He's only doing that to try to suck me back into the same bed buddy relationship we had for 8 years. I'm not interested in settling for that. I did move 1000 miles away to end that kind of interaction. So, a frame with 'Colleagues' engraved on the bottom should help him get the picture that I'm really serious this time!"

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home