Friday, October 20, 2006

Something Old, Something New

My new Brazilian friend threw a birthday party for me this evening. In the midst of it I got a call from Carlos. He wanted to know when I'd be in NO for business next month so we could spend some time together (Yes, unfortunately I have to go back to New Orleans...ugh!) . I told him I haven't bought my ticket yet, but I'd let him know when my itinerary is finalized. All this came after a conversation this afternoon with a co-worker here who asked how my social life is going.

"I'm pretty busy," I said. "I'm focused on my career & my child."

"So you haven't met anyone yet?" he asked.

"Well, I'm having a party at my house tonight. There'll be some cool young folks coming over, but I'm not anticipating meeting anyone here in town. I mean, this is [insert name of small town in IA]!"

"You think there aren't people here who are focused on their careers?" he asked.

"Well I'm still entertaining folks from out of town," I guardedly replied.

"I hope you're not limiting yourself to one race," he cautiously said.

"No I'm not, but my assignment here is temporary. I'll be moving on soon enough. Besides, this is [insert name of small town in IA]! I wouldn't be too surprised if I don't meet anyone serious. Besides, I'm still maintaining relationships with folks from out of town. In fact, I have so many trips planned over the next couple of months that I don't have much time to date."

"I give it 3 months," he said. "You'll meet someone and all that out of town stuff will end. It usually takes about a year before people who think they're just passing through end up engaged."

"Whatever," I said, blowing off his observation.

"Really! 3 months. I've already gotten calls about you from people in the community," he frankly said.

Maybe this last trip to New Orleans isn't just an end to the Carlos era (something old). It could be all I need to finally make me fully available to something new.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home