The Evolution of Man: Version 2.0
Last night there was a certain calm about my life. When I got home, things were just absent of drama. I thought to myself, "Calm before the storm?" as I pondered Christmas in Brazil. Now I know, Brazil is out. I got a letter from Shorty's orthodontist today. His braces are going to be $5000. After insurance, I'll have to pay $2700 (there goes the trip to Brazil).
After I got over the initial shock the reality check hit my mental account yet again: I'm in this by myself. I made a choice over 12 years ago to have sex with a sorry man and for the last 10 years I've been dealing with the result...pretty much on my own. In retrospect, I should've seen this coming. He was triffling then (with his unfinished braces) and he's triffling now. I'm not sure I'll even bother to tell him what his obligation is. I think it may be better to just take care of it instead of hoping he'll step up and help out.
I also emailed my first love today & set up a tele-lunch for next week. I asked him why I had to find out about his upcoming trip to Brazil from my co-worker here. He replied that life just wasn't as interesting without intrigue & surprises. I wrote back that if I'm late calling him it'll be because my plane hadn't landed yet since I'll be going back to NO that day. "How's that for intrigue & surprise?" I wrote. He closed the correspondence out with, "I'm sure you'll have plenty to tell me since your trip's to NO (especially if it involves the JA)..........wlb". I got the hint.
Why should I expect anything different from the JA or my ex-husband? People are the way they are when you meet them. My ex-husband's been a half-child since day one, and Carlos has been a jack@$$ since the second date. Why would Shorty needing braces produce any more responsible behavior in my ex or me making my last trip to NO ellicit any more love & romance from Carlos?
I've heard that people change. I've also heard that the more things change, the more they stay the same. Until I had my experience with the Norwegian, I never understood how both statements could be true. In the midst of that beautiful experience I looked back on the first 30 years of my life and saw how I got to be where I was. I was the same me, just bigger, older, & wiser. Much like a tree that starts out as a small seed that takes root and emerges from the ground as a sapling (eventually becoming a fully grown tree), I'd evolved.
I've heard that girls mature faster than boys: they walk first, they talk first, they hit puberty first. I have to wonder if in the same has been true since the beginning of time and the evolution of man is just that much further behind that of woman. God did create man first. Maybe woman should be called "Man v. 2.0".
After I got over the initial shock the reality check hit my mental account yet again: I'm in this by myself. I made a choice over 12 years ago to have sex with a sorry man and for the last 10 years I've been dealing with the result...pretty much on my own. In retrospect, I should've seen this coming. He was triffling then (with his unfinished braces) and he's triffling now. I'm not sure I'll even bother to tell him what his obligation is. I think it may be better to just take care of it instead of hoping he'll step up and help out.
I also emailed my first love today & set up a tele-lunch for next week. I asked him why I had to find out about his upcoming trip to Brazil from my co-worker here. He replied that life just wasn't as interesting without intrigue & surprises. I wrote back that if I'm late calling him it'll be because my plane hadn't landed yet since I'll be going back to NO that day. "How's that for intrigue & surprise?" I wrote. He closed the correspondence out with, "I'm sure you'll have plenty to tell me since your trip's to NO (especially if it involves the JA)..........wlb". I got the hint.
Why should I expect anything different from the JA or my ex-husband? People are the way they are when you meet them. My ex-husband's been a half-child since day one, and Carlos has been a jack@$$ since the second date. Why would Shorty needing braces produce any more responsible behavior in my ex or me making my last trip to NO ellicit any more love & romance from Carlos?
I've heard that people change. I've also heard that the more things change, the more they stay the same. Until I had my experience with the Norwegian, I never understood how both statements could be true. In the midst of that beautiful experience I looked back on the first 30 years of my life and saw how I got to be where I was. I was the same me, just bigger, older, & wiser. Much like a tree that starts out as a small seed that takes root and emerges from the ground as a sapling (eventually becoming a fully grown tree), I'd evolved.
I've heard that girls mature faster than boys: they walk first, they talk first, they hit puberty first. I have to wonder if in the same has been true since the beginning of time and the evolution of man is just that much further behind that of woman. God did create man first. Maybe woman should be called "Man v. 2.0".

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home