Not If But When
I went to the first in a week of business dinners this evening with my co-workers and our counterparts from corporate (we're in the midst of our plant's triennial environmental audit). As much as I didn't want to spend the evening chatting over dinner about superficial things with the same boring colleagues I'd spent the entire day (you try talking about Title V air permits all day), I went any way because it was an unspoken requirement.
When I arrived I found two open chairs (one at each end of the table for 12) and opted for the one nestled between my boss & my boss's boss. I saw it as the perfect opportunity to show my social side to my boss's boss since Negative Ned hadn't arrived yet and they've already formed some sick male bond that Negative Ned's been using to try to discredit me professionally.
Somewhere between the 1st & 2nd courses, my boss brought up a report that Negative Ned whined about at our staff meeting last week (he's a master at whining about new assignments & blowing things out of proportion). I told her to send the report to me & I'd use my contacts & resources to get it done based on my past tangential experience with the subject. She seemed relieved that she had someone on her team that would take charge without complaining, much as had in preparing the opening presentation for this audit (it's everyone's first time except mine).
I was also seated across from our corporate environmental support manager who's place I've taken on the team. I inquired about her new position. "So, where've you been? Where are you going?"
"Well, I've been to Antwerp [Belgium], I've been to Nebraska, and I've been to [insert the name of our small IA town here]." We laughed & I said, "Wow! All in the last 3 months! Did you go to [insert the name of the small town in NE that I was on my way to audit the day September 11th happened]?" "No," she replied, "I went to [insert the name of another town in NE that's so small I can't even remember it]. It's in the middle of nowhere," she said with a hint of ennui.
"I flew into Omaha, rented a car, and drove for 4 hours. There's really nothing there."
"But do you like the work?" I asked. "Actually yes," she replied. "It's quite interesting."
"When I grow up I want to be just like you," I half-joked since she knows I'm being groomed for a position in her group.
"Did you fly up here?" I asked, already knowing she'd driven so she could check on her pig farm that's near the plant [note to up & comers...never ask a question you don't already know the answer to].
"No I rented a car & drove. It's cheaper than driving you're own car & paying for gas. Corporate travel prefers it," she said.
My boss's boss then jumped in & said, "So that's a tip. When you're going to headquarters [which is only a 4 hour drive], rent a car. It's cheaper. Especially if you're just going for an over night trip."
"Well I don't have any plans to go to corporate any time soon," I honestly said. I then glanced at my boss face which mirrored my boss's boss's face. "I don't like the looks on your faces," I said with concern. "Just rent a car," my boss's boss said. I thought to myself that he made a "not if but when" statement.
Once dinner was over I rushed home just in time to spend 15 minutes watching Avatar with Shorty. He'd made his own dinner, finished his homework, cleaned up the kitchen, taken his shower, & was dressed for bed. We spent some time bonding as he explained each of the characters to me. "Are you okay with me leaving you alone to go to these business dinners every so often?" I asked with concern. "Umhmm," he replied. "As long as you can watch t.v., talk on the phone with your friends, & play on the computer so you don't feel so lonely," I half asked. "Yes," he replied and chatted on about Avatar & his school day. When 9 PM came, he dutifuly turned off the t.v. & gave me a hug and a kiss goodnight (something we do every night), and happily trotted off to bed.
I know it's not if but when they move me to corporate & I'm required to travel that I'll have to deal with leaving him for more than a couple of hours. I know it's not if but when he grows up and leaves home that I'll have to have to be on a career path that I'm still passionate about & fits with my purpose in life. I know it's not if but when these two changes occur that concerns me...it's if he & I will both be ready when the time comes. I just pray that our "when's of change" are blowing in the same direction at the right time.
When I arrived I found two open chairs (one at each end of the table for 12) and opted for the one nestled between my boss & my boss's boss. I saw it as the perfect opportunity to show my social side to my boss's boss since Negative Ned hadn't arrived yet and they've already formed some sick male bond that Negative Ned's been using to try to discredit me professionally.
Somewhere between the 1st & 2nd courses, my boss brought up a report that Negative Ned whined about at our staff meeting last week (he's a master at whining about new assignments & blowing things out of proportion). I told her to send the report to me & I'd use my contacts & resources to get it done based on my past tangential experience with the subject. She seemed relieved that she had someone on her team that would take charge without complaining, much as had in preparing the opening presentation for this audit (it's everyone's first time except mine).
I was also seated across from our corporate environmental support manager who's place I've taken on the team. I inquired about her new position. "So, where've you been? Where are you going?"
"Well, I've been to Antwerp [Belgium], I've been to Nebraska, and I've been to [insert the name of our small IA town here]." We laughed & I said, "Wow! All in the last 3 months! Did you go to [insert the name of the small town in NE that I was on my way to audit the day September 11th happened]?" "No," she replied, "I went to [insert the name of another town in NE that's so small I can't even remember it]. It's in the middle of nowhere," she said with a hint of ennui.
"I flew into Omaha, rented a car, and drove for 4 hours. There's really nothing there."
"But do you like the work?" I asked. "Actually yes," she replied. "It's quite interesting."
"When I grow up I want to be just like you," I half-joked since she knows I'm being groomed for a position in her group.
"Did you fly up here?" I asked, already knowing she'd driven so she could check on her pig farm that's near the plant [note to up & comers...never ask a question you don't already know the answer to].
"No I rented a car & drove. It's cheaper than driving you're own car & paying for gas. Corporate travel prefers it," she said.
My boss's boss then jumped in & said, "So that's a tip. When you're going to headquarters [which is only a 4 hour drive], rent a car. It's cheaper. Especially if you're just going for an over night trip."
"Well I don't have any plans to go to corporate any time soon," I honestly said. I then glanced at my boss face which mirrored my boss's boss's face. "I don't like the looks on your faces," I said with concern. "Just rent a car," my boss's boss said. I thought to myself that he made a "not if but when" statement.
Once dinner was over I rushed home just in time to spend 15 minutes watching Avatar with Shorty. He'd made his own dinner, finished his homework, cleaned up the kitchen, taken his shower, & was dressed for bed. We spent some time bonding as he explained each of the characters to me. "Are you okay with me leaving you alone to go to these business dinners every so often?" I asked with concern. "Umhmm," he replied. "As long as you can watch t.v., talk on the phone with your friends, & play on the computer so you don't feel so lonely," I half asked. "Yes," he replied and chatted on about Avatar & his school day. When 9 PM came, he dutifuly turned off the t.v. & gave me a hug and a kiss goodnight (something we do every night), and happily trotted off to bed.
I know it's not if but when they move me to corporate & I'm required to travel that I'll have to deal with leaving him for more than a couple of hours. I know it's not if but when he grows up and leaves home that I'll have to have to be on a career path that I'm still passionate about & fits with my purpose in life. I know it's not if but when these two changes occur that concerns me...it's if he & I will both be ready when the time comes. I just pray that our "when's of change" are blowing in the same direction at the right time.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home