Monday, September 11, 2006

Buyer's Remorse

I finally received the rest of my new furniture this evening, and I'm wishing I'd paid more attention to the choices I was making at the time. First the dining room set arrived without the leaf (the store manager called this morning to tell me the leaf was damaged & they'll have to send a replacement later), then I realized I'd bought a table with only 6 chairs instead of 8. Next, the store I'd specifically purchased the rest of my furniture from (I greedily wanted to use my AmEx card for the double frequent flyer mile bonus) delivered my new bedroom set (which came without the chest I thought I'd ordered) & the basement furniture I'd painfully picked out (I really do hate shopping!).

After 45 minutes of maneuvering, plenty of damage to the hallway wall, and destroying the lighting in my basement stairway, the movers gave up and managed to extract the 2 piece sectional which was just not going to make it around the corner near my 1st floor bedroom to the basement. I paid the gentleman the $160 COD and thanked them for their help with rearranging my old & new bedroom sets. The lead mover almost begged me not to tell his company that they'd damaged my new home. When I said I wasn't sure I'd call to get things fixed, he offered to send money for the repairs .

"It's my fault," he said. "I should've had you sign a waiver. I just don't want to lose my job," he reiterated.

"Well, I understand. It's like getting into a fender bender and offering to pay for the repairs instead of going through the insurance company so your rates don't go up. I've done it plenty of times," I said, thinking of my series of bad driving offenses that must have cost others God knows how much more thanks to my carelessness & impatience. "If I do call to have the company take care of it, I'll let you know. Otherwise, no news is good news," I assured him.

"Either way, please let me know," he implored. Looking into his tired eyes and thinking of how helpful he'd been to disassemble my old bedroom set & move it upstairs to make room for the new one I said, "Okay. I'll let you know." Truthfully, it's partly my fault.

I bought the furniture while in a flurry to get the decorating done so I could show off my new home & lifestyle to my new acquaintances. I wanted to continue my rush into moving on with my life so I could stamp out as many memories of Carlos as I could before my trip to NO which is scheduled for next week. I made a hasty decision on the basement furniture in an attempt to escape my past...much the way I rushed into the relationship with Carlos to escape my first marriage. Thankfully, Carlos is an SJA, the minister was never right for me, the Norwegian lives in Norway, & by moving to IA, I've skipped a few divorces.

It's time for me to start making my choices more carefully...both in furniture & in men. The last thing I want is to wake up 8 years from now realizing I should've taken my time to make such important decisions, because when it comes to choosing a partner (and furniture) one shouldn't think of impressing people who probably won't be around in 10 years. One should think of how that partner (and that furniture) fits into the life you want.

The thing is, now I have to return all that furniture for my basement & shop for new sh!t. Maybe that's the whole reason behind my move to IA in the first place...to take back the crap that I claimed in a hurry to escape the mistakes of my youth that didn't fit in the first place, so I can slow down and find the right pieces (and partner) for the life I've always wanted. All I know is I'm ready to say goodbye to buyer's remorse.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home