Friday, August 25, 2006

Mommydom, Chapter 11

Shorty came home this evening and I'm quite content. I was having drinks with my new Brazilian friend after work when I got a call from the furniture store. I'd blown off going to the store to order the rest of my furniture (I have a hard time committing to anything, but spending $4000 is a real challenge for me) to commiserate with my co-worker about how men suck...me sharing my recent run in with the $150 Kenyan & her sharing her heartbreak about the American boyfriend who just dumped her last weekend.

After I got off the phone, my B. friend & I zipped off to the store as we reminisced and laughed about our night out in the nearby college town last night (we'd been joined by a couple of other young professionals from work). When we arrived at the furniture store, I remembered that Shorty arrived at 8 & not 9 PM. As I was about to sign my life away on a 0% interest 12 month loan through the store for the furniture in the guest room & basement (with the sale of my home in NO & relocation bonus, I have more money than I know what to do with), I looked at the time and did a quick mental calculation of the time it would take to get to the airport to scoop him up. It takes at least 40 minutes now as opposed to the 20 it took when I lived in LA. It was 7:30, so I mumbled something about coming back tomorrow and sped off to the airport in IL.

I arrived at 8 and after parking in the short term lot, strode into the regional airport and headed toward the ticket counter. There was Shorty...still 11 years old, all smiles, & looking like he'd grown an inch since I put him on the plane 6 weeks ago. We swiftly made our way to the car (he'd already collected his bags since the flight arrived 15 mintues early) and headed out of the parking lot. The attendant told me there was no charge because of the quick turn around, and I headed back thinking I must have sat on my Easy button when I jumped in the car today.

We stopped at Walmart (the daily trip) to get pizza for his dinner & a 6 pack of Heine's for me. When we got home, he promptly unpacked & brought his dirty clothes down without my having to tell him what to do. He ate his dinner as I finished my compensation assessment (I'm on track to be paid as senior engineer in 12 months if my BUL does what he said he will do). After The Suite Life of Zach & Cody was over, Shorty got himself ready for bed & we did "a hug and a kiss goodnight" with no resistance on his part.

So here I am...12 months after being welcomed back into mommydom, chapter 10, post 1 year hiatus during singledom, and I feel fine. A year ago, I was rushing around like a chicken with my head cut off, shopping for school supplies in the middle of the night, half thinking about what I'd do to prepare for the next hurricane, and still reeling from my failed Norwegian romantic adventure. I am content because my life is absent of much of the stress I had then: sub-standard schools for Shorty, unpredictable summer storms, & men who just don't measure up. Who said chapter 11 was always a bad thing?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home