It Ain't Easy
I had my performance review with my new BUL today. He blew over what my former boss said & cut to the chase. He straight out told me that I was moved here because the corp. director wants me to broaden my environmental experience so I'm ready for an environmental manager position at headquarters in 2-3 years. He also told me he'd work on getting me the title change to senior engineer in 12-18 months. Little does he know that I was already aware of the shaft plan my former boss had in mind for me.
He asked me if I had any concerns since I've arrived. I started to list them for him but instead inquired about why my responsibilities hadn't been communicated to the plant. He said he didn't want to confuse everyone since we're in the process of hiring another engineer. He thinks it's better to do it all at once. I think this is bullsh!t, but I'll be mindful of the white man alliance I sense has formed between him, the senior env. engineer, & the one who's my competition. Thankfully, I got some coaching from a former former boss of mine on what to do about the quicksand landscape I see developing. His advice was to go to the plant manager after I talk to a former co-worker of mine (Nate) who recently worked with the current plant manager. I'm thinking that's the best way to go. Especially since I found out today that the new ESH supervisor used to be officemates with the senior env. engineer & the one who's my competition has already worked for her in the past.
I'll give it a week or two more before I make the call to Nate. I want to feel the new supervisor out first (she's a white woman). I also want to get input from a local contact that I have (powerful white woman) that I worked with in NO (she's the one who gave me my last promotion). I've been developing a personal relationship with her. Not only do I like her on a personal level, but she could be a powerful ally as I maneuver through this minefield. As my mother said this evening, "It ain't easy being a black woman in a white man's world". I plan on keeping that in the back of my mind as I charge up every connection I have to get to where I need to be.
He asked me if I had any concerns since I've arrived. I started to list them for him but instead inquired about why my responsibilities hadn't been communicated to the plant. He said he didn't want to confuse everyone since we're in the process of hiring another engineer. He thinks it's better to do it all at once. I think this is bullsh!t, but I'll be mindful of the white man alliance I sense has formed between him, the senior env. engineer, & the one who's my competition. Thankfully, I got some coaching from a former former boss of mine on what to do about the quicksand landscape I see developing. His advice was to go to the plant manager after I talk to a former co-worker of mine (Nate) who recently worked with the current plant manager. I'm thinking that's the best way to go. Especially since I found out today that the new ESH supervisor used to be officemates with the senior env. engineer & the one who's my competition has already worked for her in the past.
I'll give it a week or two more before I make the call to Nate. I want to feel the new supervisor out first (she's a white woman). I also want to get input from a local contact that I have (powerful white woman) that I worked with in NO (she's the one who gave me my last promotion). I've been developing a personal relationship with her. Not only do I like her on a personal level, but she could be a powerful ally as I maneuver through this minefield. As my mother said this evening, "It ain't easy being a black woman in a white man's world". I plan on keeping that in the back of my mind as I charge up every connection I have to get to where I need to be.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home