Tuesday, August 29, 2006

A Left Turn At Albuquerque

This evening I picked Shorty up after an afternoon at the Y & took him to his new middle school for orientation. We picked up his locker combination, a map & his schedule, and did a run through of his day (both blue & gold) and met most of his teachers. After a 20 minute parents' meeting, we did a few more trys with his locker combo and headed home. He ate his dinner as I caught up with my tech friend from work and put my new fire pit table together in preparation for entertaining my new clique from work later this week. Then it hit me...I'm the mother of a middle schooler!

How am I a mother to a pre-teen, middle school aged child when I barely feel old enough to be an adult myself? And when did I get so short (they grow 'em big here in IA).

I realize now that I must squash all party girl tendancies before Shorty ends up bringing home someone just like me. After seeing the budding women he'll be attending school with (and pointing out a trashy girl to him so he knows what not to bring home) and knowing that middle school is much like Albuquerque, I need to set an example of what I want him to choose & be like...lest he go left during the coming year(s), instead of right.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home