Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Under Pressure

I had my FY 2006 performance review by phone with my former boss today. We went over my performance summary and in short, it wasn't my best year ever. I didn't perform at the highest level I'm capable of because I was under pressure, distracted by the fallout from Katrina, & depressed by my ever burning desire to not live in NO. Even though he was disappointed that I didn't come through on a couple of low key projects, he seemed to be somewhat understanding and offered his support as I move into my new role.

He asked me how things were going now that I'm here in IA. I told him that I'm overwhelmed by all the information that I'm taking in and feeling a lot like I'm "drinking from the fire water hose." He asked what I thought my development plan should look like now, and I told him that I'm not sure. He offered some suggestions & also offered to be a sort of distance coach as I maneuver my way through this new playing field (he worked at this site for 9 years so he knows a lot of the people).

With that in mind, I started working on the assignment I've been given. It's a project that's due at the end of FY 2007 (exactly 12 months from now) and it's 8 months behind schedule. No pressure {insert sarcastic tone here}! Oh, and today I also found out that this project's not only on my boss's goals, and not just on my boss's boss's goals, but also on the corporate director of environmental's goals, as well as the vice president of ES&H's goals.

When I got that little tidbit of information I thought to myself, "Whew! Built in pressure! No need to procrastinate & stress myself out at the last minute like I usually do...my former bosses did it for me!" Now I know why my former boss sent me to corporate for that little howdy 'round in May after I went to that conference in ATL & met my other former boss who just quit. He wanted to associate a face with this assignment so that if it's not done, the big dogs know just which @$$ to chew out. After a year in this pressure cooker, at least my @$$ will be tender enough to slice without a knife.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home