Tell All Sunday
Chris & I were supposed to go to an ice cream social at the local art museum, but given our participation in last night's IL version of SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE, we were both too tired & hungover. Instead, we went out for an old NO hangover cure: Taco Bell & Heineken. As we entered the local grocery store we encountered one of his co-workers. I stopped my life story as Chris introduced me and the three of us chatted for a few minutes. The guy had a glimmer in his eye, but I wasn't really paying him any attention. After we said our goodbyes, I picked up where I left off in my life story & picked out a 6 pack of Heine's. Chris noticed my aching shoulder & carried it for me. We then went back to my house & spent the afternoon talking with our feet propped up on a cooler, sitting in chairs on my back patio just enjoying the day pass by.
"I like your toes," he said of my month old French pedicure. "I noticed them last night. You looked really beautiful by the way."
"I looked alright," I said, shunning the compliment.
"No really, you looked really beautiful in that top. What color was that, white?" he asked.
"No, it was cream. It's just something I threw on," I said, then stopping myself, "But thank you."
"Yes! You're welcome," he replied.
We talked and talked and talked and talked and talked about any and everything. He even confirmed that he & the poodle did the do last night. I stopped him before he could tell me any more. "I just don't need to know any more," I said in a sisterly tone...and I don't mean biological. Towards the end of the evening he said, "You know who you look like? You look like Goapele!"
We pulled her picture up on the internet & I exclaimed, "I do not look like her!"
"Yes you do!" he insisted. "Well, you at least have some of the same features."
{Whatever.}
I took him home & he reiterated that I was looking quite lovely on Saturday night. With that on my mind today, it hit me...I don't want him dating the poodle! In fact, I don't want him dating anyone. I called my mother since I needed some advice as to whether I should tell Chris how I was feeling. I told her what happened Saturday night (including my body wanting to leave with the man & my spirit stopping me). My mother then gave me good motherly advice.
"Well, I don't think you have any control over whether he dates anyone or not," my mother frankly said. "I know that! I just don't want him dating anyone. It's not like I want to marry the guy or anything, but I just enjoy his company so much! There's so much I don't even have to explain to him since he already knows because we share the same cultural background. I just don't want him dating anyone right now."
"Well, I think just the opposite. I think he should get it all out of his system...and don't spend so much time together. Wait & see how things are in a year," my mother wisely said.
With her advice in hand, I'm backing off until next year. We'll see if Chris & I still have the same level of openness and honesty as we let our friendship grow over time. And if things have matured to the level that they seem they could, I tell him all the things I couldn't this past Sunday.
"I like your toes," he said of my month old French pedicure. "I noticed them last night. You looked really beautiful by the way."
"I looked alright," I said, shunning the compliment.
"No really, you looked really beautiful in that top. What color was that, white?" he asked.
"No, it was cream. It's just something I threw on," I said, then stopping myself, "But thank you."
"Yes! You're welcome," he replied.
We talked and talked and talked and talked and talked about any and everything. He even confirmed that he & the poodle did the do last night. I stopped him before he could tell me any more. "I just don't need to know any more," I said in a sisterly tone...and I don't mean biological. Towards the end of the evening he said, "You know who you look like? You look like Goapele!"
We pulled her picture up on the internet & I exclaimed, "I do not look like her!"
"Yes you do!" he insisted. "Well, you at least have some of the same features."
{Whatever.}
I took him home & he reiterated that I was looking quite lovely on Saturday night. With that on my mind today, it hit me...I don't want him dating the poodle! In fact, I don't want him dating anyone. I called my mother since I needed some advice as to whether I should tell Chris how I was feeling. I told her what happened Saturday night (including my body wanting to leave with the man & my spirit stopping me). My mother then gave me good motherly advice.
"Well, I don't think you have any control over whether he dates anyone or not," my mother frankly said. "I know that! I just don't want him dating anyone. It's not like I want to marry the guy or anything, but I just enjoy his company so much! There's so much I don't even have to explain to him since he already knows because we share the same cultural background. I just don't want him dating anyone right now."
"Well, I think just the opposite. I think he should get it all out of his system...and don't spend so much time together. Wait & see how things are in a year," my mother wisely said.
With her advice in hand, I'm backing off until next year. We'll see if Chris & I still have the same level of openness and honesty as we let our friendship grow over time. And if things have matured to the level that they seem they could, I tell him all the things I couldn't this past Sunday.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home