Monday, September 25, 2006

And He Didn't Call

After a quick trip to NO to tie up loose ends, I'm back in IA with a clearer perspective. The city (& my relationship with Carlos) is just as I left it...trashy & inconclusive. I couldn't close my checking & savings accounts, the former because the US department of education is slow in changing my e-pay account & the latter because of my existing car loan with the credit union. Thankfully, I can close both accounts via snail mail once my fund transfers are settled. On the other hand, my relationship with Carlos was much easier to resolve.

I called him Saturday afternoon to set up a time & place to give him the money he'd so graciously deposited in my account.

"Did you just get in?" he asked, certainly after noting the time which was 4 hours after I was supposed to arrive.

"No, but I hit the ground running when we arrived. I've been carting Shorty & his friends around since I got here," I casually replied. I could've called him as soon as I got in, but I decided not to make him a priority. We arranged to meet at a restaurant (aka, neutral ground) while the kids were watching a movie at a theater near his home & his late day lunch spot. I showed up late & looking as fine as I could in jeans & a white tank top that highlighted my brown skin & swollen breasts (oh yes, Aunt Flow's on her way in for a visit). I found him at the bar, closing out his tab, likely thinking I wasn't going to show. I immediately counted the money out to him & thanked him for the favor as we made our way out of the restaurant.

"So what's on the agenda for this evening?" I politely asked.

"Oh, probably Frenchman St. There's lot's going on around the Saints/Falcons game. Are you going out?"

"I don't know," I honestly said.

"Alright. I'll give you a call later," he half-heartedly replied.

I could tell he wanted a hug so I reminded him of my obligations, "I've got to get back."

There was no fanfare. There were no, It's good to see you's. It was what it was...and he didn't call.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home