Thursday, July 27, 2006

Counselor Troy Is A Saint

This afternoon I got a phone call from one of the engineer's I was mentoring in LA. When I called him back he informed me that he'd been fired today & did a brain dump of the situation. He was fired for getting into an altercation with a player from another team at a company sponsored soccer game this past Sunday. After talking him down, I assured him I'd found out the what's what on the situation & do what I could to get him another job.

Then I picked up Chris & we had a heart to heart. He explained to me how he'd gotten two DUIs in the last year, divorced his wife, how she's already pregnant with someone else's child, how he's still supporting her, & how he's feeling insecure at the end of his first year of professional life. I listened to him go on and on, finally deciding to let him know my purpose in his life.

"Chris, you're the little brother I always wanted. I've been sent here to guide you through these difficulties since a long time ago, I was where you are. I'm not meant to be married. I am the patron saint of emotionally unavailable men, and until you get your sh!t together, you're emotionally unavailable. I'm here to point you in the right direction."

I wonder if it took moving here for me to be able to recognize these lost Y chromosomes before I allowed myself to get emotionally attached? Either way, at least I can be comfortable in my sainthood and exercise my counseling skills without feeling like I'm coming back to an emotionally empty well over and over again. I feel a bit like Counselor Troy from Star Trek. I'm an empath, but I hope my helping others doesn't deplete me so much I have nothing left for myself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home