Substitute Teacher
About an hour ago, I got home from a function for the young professional's network. I'd been looking forward to seeing Chris again since we have so much in common. When I arrived, I encountered a young woman who appears to have some black in her (fair skinned, long hair, pretty...not unexpected from a chick living in IA) and she was, in a word, aloof. I blew her off and went to the private dining room where I promptly started mixing & mingling. Chris saw me & made it a point to say, "Hi!" from across the room. I stuck with my original plan...cordial, but not too anxious.
"I need to talk to you!" I said loudly across the room. I had it in mind to ask him about the article I'd seen in the local paper on Tuesday that detailed that his company had just received a large fine for an environmental violation. Since he's just been moved to environmental as an engineer, I thought it was a good chance to strike up a professional conversation & feel out whether he's into me personally, all the while networking so I could glean information to share at work on what not to do in my new position. He said we'd talk later. When he didn't make it a point to sit and chat with me, I continued networking with other folks in the room.
Later, while we were separated by my only other company co-worker, Chris & I chatted about what there is to do here in this small IA town. As he rattled off all the things there are to do here, the "aloof woman" made it a point to shimmy past Chris' chair 3 or 4 times. I got a feeling that there might be some interest on her part and didn't take it personally when he chose to go off in the middle of our conversation. Instead, I mixed & mingled, eventually setting my eyes on a chair at the head of the table, carefully situated between two mid-thirties married mothers' of two.
The women & I started chatting (bonding as women who've had a glass of wine do) and I noticed Chris eyeing the open chair next to the woman on my left. He eventually made his way to that spot, aware of the female bonding he was putting himself in the middle of. He jumped into the conversation just in time to be schooled by Rosy (oh, and she's a firecracker). Rosy broke it down to him:
Eventually it came out that he's been divorced all of 3 or 4 months after a two year marriage (he's 27). He then volunteered that he just got his second DUI 4th of July weekend (shortly after he & I met), as he emphasized that his life has gone out of control (including the drinking) since he & his wife separated. While he complained that she "controlled" the finances while they were married & stated that he thought a couple should have three accounts (his, hers, & theirs), I started shaking my head. I had nothing to say...but thankfully, Rosy said it all. She gave him a series of tips, and as she doled out each one I knodded my head. I've been doing them for the last 8 years (i.e. get out of consumer debt, charge everything to a credit card that gives you rewards/miles/cash back, pay the card off every month, have a living will & power of attorney, maximize your 401k, etc.).
She explained how he needed to learn how to handle his own finances, what he needed to do in his personal life to get it together, and how he (in XX language) needs to grow up. I was so glad I didn't say anything because I could tell he was sort of into me or else he wouldn't have spent over an hour jumping into my conversation with two women and being schooled by them on how to be a better man in his next relationship. I told Rosy & Jen that I'd have to invite them over to hang out at my place next week. Chris asked if he could come too.
"Oh Yeah! Sure! Of Course!" I said, thinking of how much entertainment this financially retarded, chronologically late 20s, nouveau divorcee, Masaai man would be for three experienced women in their 30s. We all exchanged numbers at the end of the evening.
I'll definitely invite Rosy & Jen over. I may even invite Chris as well...he can park his bike in the garage since he lost his license with this 2nd DUI. I have a couple of potential new friends and a potential new project. Chris could become the first emotionally unavailable, financially challenged man I help without getting physically involved. Rosy & Jen have the potential to become the sisters I always wanted but never had. Who knew I'd move to IA & have the opportunity to work through all my relationship issues with people I'd just met?! I came here to develop my technical skills...but I might have the chance to become a substitute teacher.
"I need to talk to you!" I said loudly across the room. I had it in mind to ask him about the article I'd seen in the local paper on Tuesday that detailed that his company had just received a large fine for an environmental violation. Since he's just been moved to environmental as an engineer, I thought it was a good chance to strike up a professional conversation & feel out whether he's into me personally, all the while networking so I could glean information to share at work on what not to do in my new position. He said we'd talk later. When he didn't make it a point to sit and chat with me, I continued networking with other folks in the room.
Later, while we were separated by my only other company co-worker, Chris & I chatted about what there is to do here in this small IA town. As he rattled off all the things there are to do here, the "aloof woman" made it a point to shimmy past Chris' chair 3 or 4 times. I got a feeling that there might be some interest on her part and didn't take it personally when he chose to go off in the middle of our conversation. Instead, I mixed & mingled, eventually setting my eyes on a chair at the head of the table, carefully situated between two mid-thirties married mothers' of two.
The women & I started chatting (bonding as women who've had a glass of wine do) and I noticed Chris eyeing the open chair next to the woman on my left. He eventually made his way to that spot, aware of the female bonding he was putting himself in the middle of. He jumped into the conversation just in time to be schooled by Rosy (oh, and she's a firecracker). Rosy broke it down to him:
- How the toilet paper should come off the roll.
- How everyone should be required to lift the seat.
- Why both partners in a relationship need their girls'/boys' night out.
- Why all the money should go in one pot.
Eventually it came out that he's been divorced all of 3 or 4 months after a two year marriage (he's 27). He then volunteered that he just got his second DUI 4th of July weekend (shortly after he & I met), as he emphasized that his life has gone out of control (including the drinking) since he & his wife separated. While he complained that she "controlled" the finances while they were married & stated that he thought a couple should have three accounts (his, hers, & theirs), I started shaking my head. I had nothing to say...but thankfully, Rosy said it all. She gave him a series of tips, and as she doled out each one I knodded my head. I've been doing them for the last 8 years (i.e. get out of consumer debt, charge everything to a credit card that gives you rewards/miles/cash back, pay the card off every month, have a living will & power of attorney, maximize your 401k, etc.).
She explained how he needed to learn how to handle his own finances, what he needed to do in his personal life to get it together, and how he (in XX language) needs to grow up. I was so glad I didn't say anything because I could tell he was sort of into me or else he wouldn't have spent over an hour jumping into my conversation with two women and being schooled by them on how to be a better man in his next relationship. I told Rosy & Jen that I'd have to invite them over to hang out at my place next week. Chris asked if he could come too.
"Oh Yeah! Sure! Of Course!" I said, thinking of how much entertainment this financially retarded, chronologically late 20s, nouveau divorcee, Masaai man would be for three experienced women in their 30s. We all exchanged numbers at the end of the evening.
I'll definitely invite Rosy & Jen over. I may even invite Chris as well...he can park his bike in the garage since he lost his license with this 2nd DUI. I have a couple of potential new friends and a potential new project. Chris could become the first emotionally unavailable, financially challenged man I help without getting physically involved. Rosy & Jen have the potential to become the sisters I always wanted but never had. Who knew I'd move to IA & have the opportunity to work through all my relationship issues with people I'd just met?! I came here to develop my technical skills...but I might have the chance to become a substitute teacher.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home