Friday, July 21, 2006

Expectations & Reputations

I went to lunch with my boss today (he's the superintendent over our group). At first, I thought about what Carlos told me several years ago when he was here in IA and called me after playing cards with some of the heavy hitters at the plant (my boss included).

"They were cursing, belching, & farting! It was disgusting!" Carlos said, with obvious contempt for their lack of southern charm.

In spite of my being the southern belle that I am, I pushed Carlos' comments from my mind and decided to form my own opinion of my boss as we walked across the parking lot in the rain. I knew I was doing the right thing when my boss opened the door for me.

Over lunch, my boss inquired about what my expectations are from him in my new role (the original subject of my meeting with him that was rescheduled to accommodate a going away function for the plant IH engineer). I told him that I would like frequent and honest feedback about my performance. He asked me why I chose to come to the IA site and then told me what he’d heard.

"I'll tell you what I was told. You were tired of working in [insert name of more experienced company environmental engineer here]'s shadow and wanted more technical experience." From the matter of fact look on his face and his almost ginger treatment of me up to this point, I sensed that he was forced to accept me as a member of his team. Knowing that the rumor around town is that I've been placed here by a very powerful player as a stepping stone to a more influential position, I did the only thing I know how to do...I told him the truth.

"I think that I wasn't developed technically because I didn't have the support I needed on my last project, both from an IT side and from an environmental side. I don't think it was intentional, it was just the nature of the business." He agreed and lunch went well. I then picked his brain for what I need to do in my new role to be successful. Strangely enough, I think he told me the truth. I think he did only because I've been [I think] anointed by a more powerful player, but also because of what he said when I asked him what success looks like for me in 9-12 months.

"We're in a service organization. If in a year I can go out to the plant and ask one of the technicians if they know you and they say, 'Oh yeah! I know her!' and rattle off how they've seen you regularly and how you've helped the business move forward in your new role. For me to be successful my team needs to be successful, and you're a critical part of my team." He then reiterated that he wants me out in the plant for at least an hour a day.

With that in mind, I left the office early to attend the going away party for the IH tech. I made my rounds through the groups of people (most of them technicians) and heard the same things over and over again:

“I met you last week and was really impressed with you when you came to [insert name of plant area here]! You’re so down to earth!”

“Yeah, I saw your announcement through email. You’re younger than I thought! When do you leave?”

“I can tell by talking to you that you’re full of energy and I have to tell you, you’re so down to earth! Rumor has it you’re here as a stepping stone to [insert the name of my former boss here]'s job. You’ll be gone in a week!”

It’s nice to know that I’ve been identified as having potential for a higher calling, but I’m not sure I can live up to the reputation that precedes me and the expecations that come with being chosen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home