Saturday, July 15, 2006

Sponsored By

I saw an annoucement today that a process control engineer at our company site in GA is transfering back to IA. I forwarded the information to my tech friend in LA to get her input. She shot an email an email back to me announcing my former temporary boss' appointment to a permanent superintendant position. We agreed to chat this afternoon about the moves.

While we were talking, she told me she'd known about the GA guy's move two weeks ago and that she's pretty much guaranteed that job but it hasn't been announced yet (the director of that site is an old friend of hers). I asked about her thoughts on my former boss' appointment and she told me it's one of the reasons a superintendant here in IA just got more responsibility. They used to be close friends and the woman really likes me, so I let her know that I'm not going to let my relationship with my tech friend damage my developing relationship with the super here. She told me that she didn't mind it.

In the midst of all this corporate politics conversation I told her that I realize now that I have a corporate sponser (which is why I was transferred to the IA site). She said that's a good thing because that's how people move up in the company. I was flabergasted at the fact that I've finally been recognized for my ability and been given an opportunity to "play the game". On one level, it amazes me that I have someone so powerful supporting my career and all I have to do is perform (a little scary). On another level, it's exactly what I need to get to the position I want in 20 years. It's a lot like the scholarship I got that was sponsored by this company in the first place.

They hired me right out of high school as an intern (I was just 17) to work during the summer before I started my freshman year in college. They paid for 5 years of my education, gave me a paid internship every summer, and spending money during the year. All this with no obligation to work for them when I finished school. So here I am 14 years later, & I have a corporate sponsor who works in a position 4 steps down from the CEO.

When I finished moving my things into my dorm room freshman year, my sister and I were waiting for my parents to pull the minivan around to pick us up. She had to leave school after 3 semesters because her grades weren't up to snuff. With that in mind and my amazing scholarship opportunity right in front of me, she gave me a little bit of older sisterly advice, "Don't fuck this up!" I'm taking that to heart as I move forward with this new realization.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home