Purpose In A Child's Mind
I finally got word from the couple in HI who wanted to exchange homes. Unfortunately there was a glitch in my email and they didn't receive my reply in time (damn you Hotmail!). They've already made arrangements with someone in a neighboring town, so the trip to Hawaii is out (arrggg!). On another note, I finally made contact with the woman I hope will be my mentor. She and I will be having dinner in St. Louis tomorrow and I'm really looking forward to it.
Although I won't be able to make my mother's Hawaii dream come true this summer, meeting this woman may help move me along on my path toward my purpose in life. I told my mother about my dream of working for the UN one day and she said she hopes it comes true. She's asked me to call her once I get that job and I've promised her I will. By then I should be earning enough to make my mother's HI dream (among others) come true.
Parenthetically, when I was 8 my family and I stopped in London on our way to Kenya and I wondered what it would be like to visit there on the 4th of July. I'd just seen My Fair Lady for the first time (my father made me watch it) and learned that the US used to belong to England. I figured that if the 4th of July was so great here, I wondered how amazing it would be in London, the capitol of our mother country. I was young (so was the US compared to England) and my mother was older and bigger than me. So I thought the fireworks would be off the hook in London. Even though I know now Londoners could care less about the 4th of July, I still want to satisfy that 8 year old that lives in me.
So since I can't go to HI that week, it's back to the original plan. I'm off to STL in search of guidance from a woman I've never met to help me fulfill a purpose I felt when I was just 3 years old. By God's grace it will all start to come together in the middle of the country. For the interim I'll still get to make that trip to this country's motherland on this country's birthday in July.
Although I won't be able to make my mother's Hawaii dream come true this summer, meeting this woman may help move me along on my path toward my purpose in life. I told my mother about my dream of working for the UN one day and she said she hopes it comes true. She's asked me to call her once I get that job and I've promised her I will. By then I should be earning enough to make my mother's HI dream (among others) come true.
Parenthetically, when I was 8 my family and I stopped in London on our way to Kenya and I wondered what it would be like to visit there on the 4th of July. I'd just seen My Fair Lady for the first time (my father made me watch it) and learned that the US used to belong to England. I figured that if the 4th of July was so great here, I wondered how amazing it would be in London, the capitol of our mother country. I was young (so was the US compared to England) and my mother was older and bigger than me. So I thought the fireworks would be off the hook in London. Even though I know now Londoners could care less about the 4th of July, I still want to satisfy that 8 year old that lives in me.
So since I can't go to HI that week, it's back to the original plan. I'm off to STL in search of guidance from a woman I've never met to help me fulfill a purpose I felt when I was just 3 years old. By God's grace it will all start to come together in the middle of the country. For the interim I'll still get to make that trip to this country's motherland on this country's birthday in July.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home