My Fairy Godmother
I've just come in from dinner with my new mentor (yay!). She was just as I thought she'd be given the first thing I heard about her. Apparently she walked out of her office one day and proclaimed to Al (one of my former co-workers in LA), "I hate weak black men!" From then on, I heard more and more about her along those same lines, but when I heard she'd retired as the V.P. of ESH of our company I knew I needed to meet her...I just wish I'd done it sooner.
I was a little late for dinner due to my amnesia about traffic in STL, but I found her regally seated at our dinner table sipping a glass of white wine. She wasn't as pretty as I expected, but with her rectangular black frame glasses perched squarely on her face, she was as sharp as I thought she'd be. We talked over dinner, getting to know one another, and I asked questions like a child who'd found the oracle. Thankfully, she was as open and honest as I'd anticipated...and then some.
When I shared my recent trials at work with the men on my team, she laughed and said, "You have to think of them as having a disease. Men," she frankly said, "suffer from testosterone poisoning. Every time they get an erection, the blood leaves their brains and goes to their dicks and a few more brain cells die! Think of them like 3 year old boys and have pity on them." I laughed since she'd just corroborated my theory that Y chromasome carrying humans are short a little something that God needed to complete with the second X, er go women.
When I told her I'd just recently started playing the game and didn't realize the politics that were involved in corporate culture, she told me I should've had a management position by now. I told her I've just gotten a sponsor in the last year and she said that was good, but I need to start negotiating for the jobs I need to get where I want to be. She asked if I knew a woman who's currently the Europe-Africa lead for the division in which I work. "No," I replied with disappointment. "She's working in Switzerland right now, but should be back in the US soon. She's hard to get a hold of but get in touch with her when she returns. In fact, just email her and tell her I told you to contact her. Ask her to be your mentor," she directed. I thanked her for her guidance and asked if I could consult her through the years. She said, "Of course! Now where are you staying? You're welcome to stay with us. We have a big house with plenty of room." I was floored at the offer and let her know I'd already checked into a hotel.
We then shared the details of our families. My parents & sisters, her husband and daughters (one of which is married to a Scotsman and lives outside Edinburgh). I told her I'm planning to go to London later in the year and she invited me to go with her and her husband to Scotland next month. "We have a condo there and we'll be there the whole month of April. You're welcome to join us." I was floored by her offer and told her I'll check my calendar.
When dinner was over, I reached for my purse to pay the bill. She told me she had the check and again reminded me to stay in touch. "How often do you get to St. Louis?" she asked. "About once a quarter," I responded. "Well you're welcome to stay with us any time you're in town. Even if it's just to hang out on a weekend. Just let us know in advance and we'll make arrangements if we're not here." I thanked her again and we left with me feeling all warm and fuzzy. I feel as if I've finally got a godmother (I being the only one in my family without one) and she seems to be a sort of fairy at that...able to help make my dreams come true!
I was a little late for dinner due to my amnesia about traffic in STL, but I found her regally seated at our dinner table sipping a glass of white wine. She wasn't as pretty as I expected, but with her rectangular black frame glasses perched squarely on her face, she was as sharp as I thought she'd be. We talked over dinner, getting to know one another, and I asked questions like a child who'd found the oracle. Thankfully, she was as open and honest as I'd anticipated...and then some.
When I shared my recent trials at work with the men on my team, she laughed and said, "You have to think of them as having a disease. Men," she frankly said, "suffer from testosterone poisoning. Every time they get an erection, the blood leaves their brains and goes to their dicks and a few more brain cells die! Think of them like 3 year old boys and have pity on them." I laughed since she'd just corroborated my theory that Y chromasome carrying humans are short a little something that God needed to complete with the second X, er go women.
When I told her I'd just recently started playing the game and didn't realize the politics that were involved in corporate culture, she told me I should've had a management position by now. I told her I've just gotten a sponsor in the last year and she said that was good, but I need to start negotiating for the jobs I need to get where I want to be. She asked if I knew a woman who's currently the Europe-Africa lead for the division in which I work. "No," I replied with disappointment. "She's working in Switzerland right now, but should be back in the US soon. She's hard to get a hold of but get in touch with her when she returns. In fact, just email her and tell her I told you to contact her. Ask her to be your mentor," she directed. I thanked her for her guidance and asked if I could consult her through the years. She said, "Of course! Now where are you staying? You're welcome to stay with us. We have a big house with plenty of room." I was floored at the offer and let her know I'd already checked into a hotel.
We then shared the details of our families. My parents & sisters, her husband and daughters (one of which is married to a Scotsman and lives outside Edinburgh). I told her I'm planning to go to London later in the year and she invited me to go with her and her husband to Scotland next month. "We have a condo there and we'll be there the whole month of April. You're welcome to join us." I was floored by her offer and told her I'll check my calendar.
When dinner was over, I reached for my purse to pay the bill. She told me she had the check and again reminded me to stay in touch. "How often do you get to St. Louis?" she asked. "About once a quarter," I responded. "Well you're welcome to stay with us any time you're in town. Even if it's just to hang out on a weekend. Just let us know in advance and we'll make arrangements if we're not here." I thanked her again and we left with me feeling all warm and fuzzy. I feel as if I've finally got a godmother (I being the only one in my family without one) and she seems to be a sort of fairy at that...able to help make my dreams come true!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home