A Good Start
My first day of work was good! The people were genuinely happy to have me here and gave me a warm welcome. I put feelers out about taking on some of my boss' job (this coming Friday is her last day) but was inadvertantly informed that they're searching for someone to take her place. "Oh well," I thought to myself, "I'll just have to do the job I was hired for and blow it out of the water." I'll find out tomorrow what my actual assignments are once we have our first staff meeting. I've already been warned by numerous folks at corporate not to let my boss or her boss or any of the folks in my group dump b.s. assignments on me...my career depends on it.
I met my competition. He's a process engineer who's been in environmental for less time than I have. He made it a point to stop by my office several times today. During one of his visits, he noticed my Six Sigma green belt certificate and inquired about it since it's so recent. I told him I'd finished the training a year ago, but just finished my project (delayed due to Katrina & other distractions). He told me he just finished his training and now needed to finish his project. I asked if he was going to go for his black belt certification. He said he wasn't sure because then he'd have to really do the Six Sigma stuff. "Fine," I thought, "You don't know whether you want to go technical or management. I see you feeling me out!" I didn't let on to him that I've been sent here to shore up my technical skills so I can move to a corporate environmental management position down the road. I haven't decided on a strategy to manage him yet.
Early in the day my boss took me to meet the plant staff (the people who decide raises, promotions, & moves). The plant business supervisor got up to give me a hug (she used to work in LA & knows my personal trials with the jack@$$). She asked me if I want to go to lunch this week, & of course I said yes (gotta get the dirt on the folks up here). They then did round table introductions & I made my first political faux pas. Whey the plant manager (a.k.a...the HMIC) introduced himself I said, "Oh yeah, you're important!" to which the plant comptroller (a.k.a. plant accountant) who was introduced just before him said, "Aren't I important?!" I tried a nice save & said, "Of course! Your the man with the money!" I hope it worked.
Overall, folks were genuinely nice & helpful. I think things are going to work out well here. I'm approaching this job as if I were beginning work with a totally different company. I have a maturity level I didn't have when I started working initially, connections to people in very high places, support from key people, and a clear vision of what I'm supposed to be doing with my life. With smart (and maybe some hard) work, patience, diligence & charisma, I should be where I need to be in no time at all. And that's what I call a good start.
I met my competition. He's a process engineer who's been in environmental for less time than I have. He made it a point to stop by my office several times today. During one of his visits, he noticed my Six Sigma green belt certificate and inquired about it since it's so recent. I told him I'd finished the training a year ago, but just finished my project (delayed due to Katrina & other distractions). He told me he just finished his training and now needed to finish his project. I asked if he was going to go for his black belt certification. He said he wasn't sure because then he'd have to really do the Six Sigma stuff. "Fine," I thought, "You don't know whether you want to go technical or management. I see you feeling me out!" I didn't let on to him that I've been sent here to shore up my technical skills so I can move to a corporate environmental management position down the road. I haven't decided on a strategy to manage him yet.
Early in the day my boss took me to meet the plant staff (the people who decide raises, promotions, & moves). The plant business supervisor got up to give me a hug (she used to work in LA & knows my personal trials with the jack@$$). She asked me if I want to go to lunch this week, & of course I said yes (gotta get the dirt on the folks up here). They then did round table introductions & I made my first political faux pas. Whey the plant manager (a.k.a...the HMIC) introduced himself I said, "Oh yeah, you're important!" to which the plant comptroller (a.k.a. plant accountant) who was introduced just before him said, "Aren't I important?!" I tried a nice save & said, "Of course! Your the man with the money!" I hope it worked.
Overall, folks were genuinely nice & helpful. I think things are going to work out well here. I'm approaching this job as if I were beginning work with a totally different company. I have a maturity level I didn't have when I started working initially, connections to people in very high places, support from key people, and a clear vision of what I'm supposed to be doing with my life. With smart (and maybe some hard) work, patience, diligence & charisma, I should be where I need to be in no time at all. And that's what I call a good start.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home