Whether I Win Or Lose
I just finished pulling out all of my files for all the legal dealings with my ex-husband. I've been a little anxious about the possibility of having to pay child support if I lose the custody battle that he's suggested he will start given the most recent incident. Given that he didn't bother to have our son contact me to wish me a happy mother's day this past Sunday, I feel that's a sign that he's hell bent on pursuing a change in custody and seeking child support from me. I'm not thrilled at the idea of hiring an attorney (especially if I go through all the trouble and lose), so I decided to focus on the positive and see what kind of child support he'd be required to pay if I win.
I was dumbfounded when I saw the calculated figure (based on my current income & his income 4 years ago). According to the state of Iowa, it's estimaed that he'd be required to pay $1000/month which far exceeds the $250/month he's been required to pay since our divorce nearly 10 years ago!
If I lose, I'm sure I'll be required to pay at least that much (and probably much more), but it seems worth it to me to try for an increase since I'll have to pay whatever I'm going to have to pay even if I lose. As far as I'm concerned whether I win or lose, the attorney's fees that I'll pay in the process of formally defending my right to custody are just a financial statement to my son that I do want to raise him myself. I can only hope that in time he'll understand that my actions have been in his best interest.
I was dumbfounded when I saw the calculated figure (based on my current income & his income 4 years ago). According to the state of Iowa, it's estimaed that he'd be required to pay $1000/month which far exceeds the $250/month he's been required to pay since our divorce nearly 10 years ago!
If I lose, I'm sure I'll be required to pay at least that much (and probably much more), but it seems worth it to me to try for an increase since I'll have to pay whatever I'm going to have to pay even if I lose. As far as I'm concerned whether I win or lose, the attorney's fees that I'll pay in the process of formally defending my right to custody are just a financial statement to my son that I do want to raise him myself. I can only hope that in time he'll understand that my actions have been in his best interest.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home