Cautious Optimism
Sunday morning I was awaked by my ringing cell phone. When I saw the IA area code and didn't recognize the number, I instinctively answered thinking it could be work related. "Hello?" I answered half asleep. "Good morning," said the familiar voice. I was then surprised as my attorney let me know that he'd seen on his calendar that I'd scheduled a meeting with him to pursue the jurisdiction/child support modification motion but that the date I'd chosen (June 8) might be too late to prevent the custody battle being fought in California. He said he'd awakened this morning and realized it was too risky and wanted to get started immediately.
We spent an hour on the phone preparing the motion and he asked that I meet with him Monday evening to review and sign the final papers. He also informed me that he'd fax the draft to me at work first thing Monday morning for my review. I agreed and spent a better part of my work day yesterday getting things in order. I checked online and noted that my ex received the certified letter at 7:55 AM yesterday. I also received a call from the FL clerk of court letting me know my copy of the docket from there will arrive here on Friday. I met with my attorney yesterday evening and signed the papers for my motioin. He promised to file them first thing this morning and reminded me that I could lose the custody. "I'm aware of that," I stated. "I'm doing this so that in 20 years my kid can't say I didn't try." As I was leaving his office he said, "I hope this works out for you." This morning I got a call in the office from his secretary with a court date.
I spent a better part of the afternoon diagraming and detailing all the potential outcomes of this legal action that I could think of and what I would do next. If I lose custody, I will spend the next year preparing to resign from my job, move home to FL, and go back to school full time (a detour I hadn't planned for prior to this). If I keep custody & get the increase in child support, I'll continue with my plans and probably move more quickly toward my goal, fulfilling my purpose in life. Based on how well things have been going since I first met with my attorney and how quickly the pieces of the process are moving along to come together, I have a feeling this is going to not only "work out for me" but work out in my favor. I am proceeding with cautious optimism.
We spent an hour on the phone preparing the motion and he asked that I meet with him Monday evening to review and sign the final papers. He also informed me that he'd fax the draft to me at work first thing Monday morning for my review. I agreed and spent a better part of my work day yesterday getting things in order. I checked online and noted that my ex received the certified letter at 7:55 AM yesterday. I also received a call from the FL clerk of court letting me know my copy of the docket from there will arrive here on Friday. I met with my attorney yesterday evening and signed the papers for my motioin. He promised to file them first thing this morning and reminded me that I could lose the custody. "I'm aware of that," I stated. "I'm doing this so that in 20 years my kid can't say I didn't try." As I was leaving his office he said, "I hope this works out for you." This morning I got a call in the office from his secretary with a court date.
I spent a better part of the afternoon diagraming and detailing all the potential outcomes of this legal action that I could think of and what I would do next. If I lose custody, I will spend the next year preparing to resign from my job, move home to FL, and go back to school full time (a detour I hadn't planned for prior to this). If I keep custody & get the increase in child support, I'll continue with my plans and probably move more quickly toward my goal, fulfilling my purpose in life. Based on how well things have been going since I first met with my attorney and how quickly the pieces of the process are moving along to come together, I have a feeling this is going to not only "work out for me" but work out in my favor. I am proceeding with cautious optimism.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home