A Little Carte Blanche Leads To Grand Memories
My best friend called me this evening to talk about our upcoming trip to NYC for the Live Earth concert. I didn't know that's why she called until after I'd done a brain dump about my day.
I immediately started telling her I'd just come home late from work after a very late afternoon meeting with my team about a project that's coming to a close in less than four weeks. I'd gotten into it with the newcomer to our company who took the lead on the project after I indicated I didn't want the lead because I had a more environmentally technically project I wanted to take over and complete. Long story short, he came from a company where "top down" politics is the culture, and it hasn't gone over well with me nor many of my co-workers. He and I butted heads this afternoon when I confronted him about an assignment he'd delegated to me and others long after I realized and exposed him for lying about it's importance (he lead us to believe we had to do the assignment to get our certification next month which I learned from my former colleagues is not the case). At the end of the arguement he said he'd talk to our boss about it, much like a child who'd lost an argument with an older, wiser sibling and had decided to "talk to Mom" about it. My best friend caught me right when I'd arrived home but was still fuming about my current work situation.
After I finished my emotional dump about work and updated her about the status of the custody/child support case with my ex, I shared that I've been thinking about moving back home to FL for numerous reasons. I told her that I have plans A, B, C, D, E, F, & G in the event of numerous outcomes of my case with my ex and my status of my career. But more importantly, I let her know I'd be okay with any of them...not necessarily happy, but okay.
"Yeah, I'm not surprised," she said in response to me having a flowchart for my potential future outcomes for the next 12-24 months. "I just called to find out how we're going to get to the Meadowlands," she frankly said. "What?!" I asked in confusion, still reeling from my stressful day at work. "You know, the Meadowlands, where the concert's going to be held next weekend?!" My brain quickly caught up with her and I let her know I'd investigate the lowest cost option after I talked with my mother about potential transportation based on her experience of living in Jersey & working in NYC.
Although I'm trying to hold on to as much money as possible these days in preparation for potentially quitting my job next year and moving back home to become a full time student in addition to a single mother, I'm feeling a little carte blanche about getting from NYC to NJ for the concert. It's truly a once in a lifetime chance for me to celebrate my purpose in life...& I'm grateful to be sharing it with my best friend. This is one time I don't want to scrimp on transportation or anything else because this time next year, all I may have for the future are grand memories.
I immediately started telling her I'd just come home late from work after a very late afternoon meeting with my team about a project that's coming to a close in less than four weeks. I'd gotten into it with the newcomer to our company who took the lead on the project after I indicated I didn't want the lead because I had a more environmentally technically project I wanted to take over and complete. Long story short, he came from a company where "top down" politics is the culture, and it hasn't gone over well with me nor many of my co-workers. He and I butted heads this afternoon when I confronted him about an assignment he'd delegated to me and others long after I realized and exposed him for lying about it's importance (he lead us to believe we had to do the assignment to get our certification next month which I learned from my former colleagues is not the case). At the end of the arguement he said he'd talk to our boss about it, much like a child who'd lost an argument with an older, wiser sibling and had decided to "talk to Mom" about it. My best friend caught me right when I'd arrived home but was still fuming about my current work situation.
After I finished my emotional dump about work and updated her about the status of the custody/child support case with my ex, I shared that I've been thinking about moving back home to FL for numerous reasons. I told her that I have plans A, B, C, D, E, F, & G in the event of numerous outcomes of my case with my ex and my status of my career. But more importantly, I let her know I'd be okay with any of them...not necessarily happy, but okay.
"Yeah, I'm not surprised," she said in response to me having a flowchart for my potential future outcomes for the next 12-24 months. "I just called to find out how we're going to get to the Meadowlands," she frankly said. "What?!" I asked in confusion, still reeling from my stressful day at work. "You know, the Meadowlands, where the concert's going to be held next weekend?!" My brain quickly caught up with her and I let her know I'd investigate the lowest cost option after I talked with my mother about potential transportation based on her experience of living in Jersey & working in NYC.
Although I'm trying to hold on to as much money as possible these days in preparation for potentially quitting my job next year and moving back home to become a full time student in addition to a single mother, I'm feeling a little carte blanche about getting from NYC to NJ for the concert. It's truly a once in a lifetime chance for me to celebrate my purpose in life...& I'm grateful to be sharing it with my best friend. This is one time I don't want to scrimp on transportation or anything else because this time next year, all I may have for the future are grand memories.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home