Friday, June 22, 2007

True Conversations With My Brother, Pt. II

My brother Scott stopped by my office late morning to ask me about a training class I scheduled him to give next week. I then asked him if he & his wife Buffy had big plans for the weekend (besides working on their house). He then asked me what I was doing this weekend. “Umm, nothing really. I’d said I’d go up to Cedar Rapids tomorrow,” I replied while trying to keep my personal life personal. “What’s going on in Cedar Rapids?” he inquired. “Umm, just, well…” I wasn’t filibustering very well so I turned to my computer and started surfing the net. “Wow, there’s 100% chance of rain today.” “Why ya gotta be all mysterious all of a sudden?” he said with frustration. “I’m not being mysterious, I’m just not sure I’m going to go up there if there’s going to be bad weather,” I said defensively. “So what’s going on in Cedar Rapids?” he asked again. “Oh, just a festival,” I sheepishly replied. “What kind of festival?” he continued. “A Juneteenth festival,” I finally revealed. “What’s Juneteenth?” he ignorantly asked. “You know, June 19th,” I said. “We’re well past June 19th,” he condescendingly said. “It’s a week long festival ending tomorrow,” I said. “Oh, well what is it?” he asked. “You don’t know about Juneteenth?” I asked. He gave me a puzzled look. “The day the slaves were freed?!” “Well, I now about Kwanzaa.” ~..~

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home