Road Warrior
I've just come home from a whirlwind roundtrip to corporate. I left work yesterday at lunch time & arrived in [insert corporate headquarters city here] just in time for dinner with my first love. We laughed and talked so long that we almost closed down yet another Italian restaurant. We were there so late that the Cuban was waiting on me at my hotel when we got back. I invited them both up to my room to chat for a while. The three of us talked about the business and my circuitous love life for a couple more hours while the two of them surreptitously discussed company strategy (the Cuban just assumed my first love's old job in corporate strategy). Around midnight my first love noted my weakening voice & the time, mentioned our early morning meeting, and initiated a close to the evening. I gave the Cuban the suit he'd left at my place after his visit last month, accompanied them both to the lobby, and gave them each a hug goodbye.
I made it to headquarters just in time for the start of the minority network meeting I'd blown into town to attend. It was a good opportunity to meet other key minorities & network with some I hadn't seen since their transfers to corporate. The keynote speaker's presentation was a virtual summary of the spiritual soul searching process I'd done in the year Shorty was gone before Katrina. Yes, I took off from work to listen to someone formally describe what I'd already commenced that now has me on the fast track to a vice presidency...but it was nice to know that I've finally started down the right road to where I'm supposed to be.
I left corporate just after lunch, single-minded & with a lead foot. I had to make it back to IA in time for dinner with the corporate director of environmental affairs. He came to town this afternoon and dined with our environmental group as a lead in to his annual localized howdy round. Our team will be presenting what we're currently working on in the morning, followed by individual closed door meetings with him in the afternoon. I'm certain he's going to ask me how I'm liking it here, whether I'm happy with what I'm doing, & what I want to do next as I progress in my career toward my dream job as the global ESH lead for the company.
A year ago I told the corporate director of environmental affairs what my purpose was in life & that if the company didn't move me from NO by June 1, 2006, I'd move me. I guess that after I poured out my vision of the world in the next 30 years and how I'd like to play a part in improving it by leading the ESH organization for our company, he took me seriously and moved me here as a first step toward making that happen.
Even though I'm blazing my own trail to that position so I can fulfill my mission in life, I'm still unclear on how I'm supposed to get there and whether I'm doing the things I need to do now to make it happen in the time frame I've set for myself (no one's ever tried to get to that job by doing what I'm doing). My breakneck round trip to corporate and back to IA for his visit tomorrow is just one example of what I'm going to have to be on this journey to fulfulling my destiny. I realized today that in being a trailblazer I'm going to have to be a road warrior as well. I think I'll put that on my resume when I apply for my next job.
I made it to headquarters just in time for the start of the minority network meeting I'd blown into town to attend. It was a good opportunity to meet other key minorities & network with some I hadn't seen since their transfers to corporate. The keynote speaker's presentation was a virtual summary of the spiritual soul searching process I'd done in the year Shorty was gone before Katrina. Yes, I took off from work to listen to someone formally describe what I'd already commenced that now has me on the fast track to a vice presidency...but it was nice to know that I've finally started down the right road to where I'm supposed to be.
I left corporate just after lunch, single-minded & with a lead foot. I had to make it back to IA in time for dinner with the corporate director of environmental affairs. He came to town this afternoon and dined with our environmental group as a lead in to his annual localized howdy round. Our team will be presenting what we're currently working on in the morning, followed by individual closed door meetings with him in the afternoon. I'm certain he's going to ask me how I'm liking it here, whether I'm happy with what I'm doing, & what I want to do next as I progress in my career toward my dream job as the global ESH lead for the company.
A year ago I told the corporate director of environmental affairs what my purpose was in life & that if the company didn't move me from NO by June 1, 2006, I'd move me. I guess that after I poured out my vision of the world in the next 30 years and how I'd like to play a part in improving it by leading the ESH organization for our company, he took me seriously and moved me here as a first step toward making that happen.
Even though I'm blazing my own trail to that position so I can fulfill my mission in life, I'm still unclear on how I'm supposed to get there and whether I'm doing the things I need to do now to make it happen in the time frame I've set for myself (no one's ever tried to get to that job by doing what I'm doing). My breakneck round trip to corporate and back to IA for his visit tomorrow is just one example of what I'm going to have to be on this journey to fulfulling my destiny. I realized today that in being a trailblazer I'm going to have to be a road warrior as well. I think I'll put that on my resume when I apply for my next job.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home